A work meeting of thematic subgroups under the ADB RETA 6163 “Improved Management of Shared Water Resources in Central Asia” was held on 25 April 2007 in Almaty within the framework of session “Interstate Cooperation and the Role of ICWC in Solving Regional Problems”. At the meeting, issues concerning the development of rules for fulfillment of procedural obligations and recommendations for improvement of rules for regulation and management of water and energy resources in the Syrdarya river basin, and revision of the draft Agreement on Strengthening the Organizational Framework for Management, Protection and Rational Use of Water Resources in Transboundary Water Bodies were discussed.
Members of thematic subgroups and leader of the newly elected Kyrgyz NWG E.Zh. Zhusumatov took part in the meeting. Because the Tajik NWG had not assigned its official representatives to five thematic subgroups provided with authority to participate in making draft decisions on all issues worked out by thematic subgroups, ICWC member for Tajikistan M.Y. Khamidov authorized NWG member I.S. Normatov to represent the interests of Tajikistan at this meeting.
The participants of the meeting decided
- The work plan of thematic subgroup on procedural obligations and making recommendations concerning the rules for regulation on the Syrdarya river shall be approved.
- Members of thematic subgroup shall submit proposals, agreed with NWG members, according to the list of issues made during the discussion.
- Remarks and suggestions to version No.1/2007 of the draft Agreement on Strengthening the Organizational Framework for Management, Protection and Rational Use of Water Resources in Transboundary Water Bodies (Interstate Sources) in the Aral Sea Basin as well as to the draft Statute on ICWC (7th edition) shall be submitted before 10 May 2007.
- Funds allocated for NWGs according to the approved Work Program for 2007 shall be distributed among NWGs in equal shares.
On 26 April 2007 in Almaty, a work meeting of the thematic subgroup on determination of channel losses in the Amudarya midstream and downstream was held within the framework of the ADB RETA 6163 “Improved Management of Shared Water Resources in Central Asia”. All the members of the thematic subgroup took part in the meeting.
Summary plan and work plan of the thematic subgroup prepared by BWO “Amudarya” upon study of materials presented by subgroup members were submitted.
The participants decided:
- to approve the summary plan and work plan of the thematic subgroup.
- to note that due to the lack of funds for field studies to determine channel losses at the Amudarya river reaches, available materials of the group for several years should be used as a basis in the work.
- to accept suggestions of the Turkmen party that all members of the subgroup participate in all planned activities, without separation.
- to note that additional funds are necessary for carrying out GIS work on satellite image processing.
- to assign work performance time May-July 2007.